From our beginnings as a family business with one restaurant in New York to our recognition today as a cultural icon with 76 restaurants in the United States, Caribbean, and Central and South America, Benihana’s success continues to be a result of our relationships with our guests, investors and employees. The links below offer a broad view of Benihana’s past, present and future.
Creating Great Guest Memories!!
- Corporate headquarters located in Aventura, Florida
- President and Chief Executive Officer Thomas Baldwin
- More than 7,400 employees
- Company owns 66 teppanyaki, 8 Haru restaurants and 26 RA Sushi restaurants
- Largest operator of teppanyaki restaurants in the United States
- 10 franchises
- 1964: First Benihana restaurant opens in New York City
- 1983: Initial public offering
- 1983-1997: Expanded from 11 restaurants to 47
- 1995: Completed acquisition of 17 teppanyaki-style restaurants
- 1997: Completed acquisition of Kyoto and Samurai restaurants
- 1999: Completed acquisition of Haru Sushi restaurants
- 2002: Acquisition of RA Sushi restaurants
- 2007: Opened 100th restaurant owned or franchised by Benihana National Corp.
- 2012: Acquired by Angelo Gordon and Co. to become a privately held company
- 2014: Celebrated 50th Anniversary
For further information, please contact Benihana’s Public Relations department.
What is Benihana?
Benihana is the leading Japanese-inspired restaurant chain in the United States. Our restaurants are a place to meet new friends, celebrate special occasions or just enjoy an entertaining meal. Our highly skilled teppanyaki chefs slice and dice your meal, providing entertainment as you enjoy traditional Japanese cooking using American favorites like steak, chicken, seafood and vegetables. Benihana pioneered the communal dining concept in the early 1960’s where up to eight people are seated around a steel hibachi grill waiting anxiously for their personal show to begin.
Who owns Benihana?
Benihana Inc. was acquired by Angelo Gordon and Co. in 2012. Angelo Gordon and Co. is a privately-held registered investment advisory dedicated to alternative investing.
What is Benihana’s Corporate Vision?
Growth, growth, growth. Benihana has increased its number of restaurants from 20 to 97 since 1995. The acquisition of 17 restaurants from Benihana of Tokyo in 1995, and nine units from Rudy’s Restaurant Group chain in 1997, and acquisition of the HARU (1999) and RA Sushi (2002) brands represents the largest increase in number of restaurants.
Who is Benihana’s CEO?
Thomas Baldwin, Benihana’s President and Chief Executive Officer, joined the company in 2016.
How many locations does Benihana have?
Benihana owns 66 teppanyaki restaurants and franchises 10 more in the United States, Caribbean and Central and South America. Additionally, there are 26 RA Sushi restaurants and 8 Haru restaurants in the United States.
Where is Benihana headquartered?
Benihana has been based in South Florida since 1980. Its corporate address is 21500 Biscayne Blvd., Suite 900, Aventura, Florida 33180.
When was Benihana founded?
In 1964, Japanese-born Rocky H. Aoki opened the first Benihana restaurant on Manhattan’s West Side at 61 West 56th St. That restaurant soon became famous for its theatrical chefs and traditional Japanese architecture. The interior structure of the restaurant was a 150-year-old Japanese barn that Rocky’s father found in the countryside of Japan.